Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A health tip from Rosanna Bowles new book goes viral: #1 item on Glamour website that weekend


What a delight it was to collaborate with Sarah again, resulting in a wonderful tip from author and tableware designer Rosanna Bowles really sparking with Glamour magazine readers. The piece was called, " The Brilliant, Zero-Calorie Way to End Pre-Dinner Snacking (I Can't Believe I Didn't Think of This!)".

It read, "Are you guilty of nibbling, sampling and snacking before dinner? I am! When I'm cooking, I'm constantly taste-testing, which isn't a bad thing, but it can start to add up calorically. But, I recently read about this terrific tip to zap pre-dinner munching that totally works (I tried it last night) in the loveliest new book ...

I recently checked out designer Rosanna Bowles new book Coming Home: A Seasonal Guide to Creating Family Traditions (Stewart, Tabori & Chang). Bowles is a designer whose tableware line (photo below), Rosanna, has been an Oprah Winfrey favorite, but her book, packed with tips, ideas and more than 50 recipes, proves that she's also wise in the ways of healthy, mindful living and eating.

In the book, she shared a little trick she uses, while cooking up big feasts for family and friends, that helps her avoid overeating before dinner (and by the look of her svelte frame, I'd say the trick works!):

"Hot water in a mug! This is a great drink to enjoy while you're cooking dinner. It suppresses your appetite to help you feel full until dinner's ready. Also, try drinking hot water during the day instead of flavored drinks. It's good for the body and keeps you warm. Be sure to use a pretty porcelain mug, which makes even plain water feel special."

I heard a similar tip from a yoga teacher once, and it wasn't until reading Rosanna's book that I decided to try it recently, and yep, it does seem a little boring to sip hot water, but oddly, it works!"

Thank you Vitamin G and Glamour!

No comments: